Friday, September 24, 2010

vintage and under budget = win-win


When Mark and I first found out we were pregnant we set a budget. Let me rephrase: Mark set a budget (I don't really know how to do that :)) This baby stuff is expensive... well it can be.

We figured we'd need minimum $200 for a high chair. Now there's something you should know about me: I'm not a big fan of plastic. I know, I know -- everything is plastic but if I can avoid it, I will. Who knows how long it takes to break down in a landfill (if ever). I really didn't want a plastic high chair.

Well a few months ago on my way to my first pre-natal bootcamp, I stopped off at a garage sale. They had all your typical baby things, but tucked away in the corner of the yard was a wooden high chair.

"How old is this?" I asked the woman in charge.

"Well I'm not sure, but it's in pretty good condition, don't you think?!"

It was perfect. I loved the fact that it was old and had some history attached to it. And best of all... it was 20 bucks. Not too shabby! I also picked up a side table for 6 bucks that Mark repainted -- more on that later.

Now I have $180 to spend on something else... right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment